Friday, August 17, 2012

Falsely Accused


“We have to do this, Stanley,” I stated, more for my own benefit than his. I didn’t want to spank the kids, but I had made the rule, and no matter why they broke it, the fact is that they did. They had to face the consequences.

I squared my shoulders and called Mark in. He begged and pleaded, but I held my ground and gave him his spanking. I can’t say my heart was in it though and the next one would be even worse.

“Please, Mrs. Jones, don’t do it,” Angel said. “We just said I’m sorry for switching our milks. We weren’t really talking.”

I had to look away from her little face when I replied. “It doesn’t matter. You talked during lunch when I told you not to. Now let’s get this over with and get back to class.”

It was all I could do to not break down and cry when she laid over my lap. He little feet wouldn’t even touch the floor. Angel was the smallest child in class and it felt evil to lay a hand on her, but I couldn’t show favoritism. 

I drew a deep breath and raised the paddle. The whack resounded around the room but Angel made not a sound. I did notice the single tear sliding down her cheek though and I couldn’t hit her again. I was done.

She stood before me, sadness and confusion clouding her eyes while I told her that I hoped we’d never have to go through this ordeal again. I then sent her back to class before I started crying myself. 

“Are you okay, Jessica?” Stanley asked when I walked out of the room. 

“No, I’m not okay, Stanley,” I assured him. “I do know one thing though. I will never invoke silent lunch again.”

No comments: