Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Tantrum

This is my contribution to the Three Word Wednesday prompt this week.

Kimberly had to cajole and fuss to get Mark into the car so they could leave for dinner with her parents. He was throwing a temper tantrum of untold proportions. She was a nervous wreck, muscles tense, holding the steering wheel in a death grip when they stopped for a light on Martin and First.

“Who lives there, Mommy,” Mark whispered, staring wide-eyed at a dilapidated house, shutters falling off, with weeds covering the lawn.

“Recluse John lives there,” Kimberly replied.

“What’s a recluse,” Mark asked.

Kimberly sighed, not wanting to start a round of twenty questions. “A recluse is someone who stays to themselves, usually because nobody else wants to be around them.”

“Why don’t people want to be around them? Are they mean or something?”

Hearing this inspiration struck. “Nobody wants to be around them because they throw temper tantrums all the time.”

“Oh,” Mark said, turning to watch the house disappear behind them.

“Mommy.”

“Yes, Mark.”

“I’m sorry I threw a tantrum.”

Kimberly hid her smile.

12 comments:

Ofira Sephiroth said...

lol...very nicely written. I think we've all used similar lines to get peace and quiet...children are a blessing though.

Jeeves said...

Very very cute one:) Kids are difficult and also sweet to handle.

Anonymous said...

hehe i can so picture all the mothers nodding along to this post. :)

rebecca said...

=) good way to handle it...

Tumblewords: said...

Cute story! Bet it works!!

Beek said...

Boy does this piece bring back memories of trying to get my little sister in the car.

I like the dialogue and how the dialogue seems so real.

Angel said...

Thank you all so much for the comments. I had fun writing this little piece!

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, we use tricks like these all the time on our little one. Too cute.

Angel said...

I thought you might be able to relate to this one, Rissa...hee hee.

Tammy Brierly said...

If it works use it, that's my motto!

Anonymous said...

I like it! I have a younger brother (11 years younger) I used to love moments like these when the little lessons are taught without them even knowing it... Unfortunately, now that he's twelve, he's too smart for this stuff. He always catches me when I try to do something like this and says "cut it out GiG"

Eh.

Unknown said...

I'm giggling here and remembering all the times I have used the equivalent of "Because I said so". How many of us swear never to use those phrases that were used on us by our parents and then discover that they actually have a real purpose when we have children of our own? Thanks for the giggle :)