Tuesday, June 19, 2012

It's Imperative!


 This writing prompt was challenging. I know the second one isn't really a story in any way, but it was another way to do the prompt. Let me know what y'all think, please.


 "Write a fragment of a story that is made up entirely of imperative commands. Do this; do that; contemplate the rear end of a woman who is walking out of your life. This exercise will be a sort of second-person narration (a "you" is implied in the imperative). 500 words.

Story 1:

“Brush your teeth. Put enough toothpaste on the brush. Don’t skimp or your teeth won’t get clean. Get all the way to the back. Go up and down, not in circles. Don’t choke! Spit and then brush some more if you’re not finished. Don’t forget your tongue. Use the mouthwash next. Swish it around good and then spit it out, don’t swallow. Look at me and let me see if you did a good job. Go to school, you passed inspection.”

Story 2:

“Get all the ingredients and cooking supplies together. Don’t forget the cooking spray or they’ll stick. Mix the peanut butter, egg and sugar together in a bowl until it’s thick goo. Dip twelve tablespoons onto the baking pan a few inches apart. Bake the cookies for twenty minutes. Eat and enjoy!”

 Story 3:

“Take your clothes off.”
“Strip or I’ll do it for you!”
“Slow down, I want to enjoy this. Take your time. Fold the clothes when you’re done.”
“Dance for me. Make it sexy. Move to the music and make me believe you mean it. Do it right and this might go easier for you.”
“Take your time; we’re not in a race here.”
“Do that again, I liked that move. Turn around.”
“Do as I say!”
“Hold your arms up. Don’t strain against the cuffs or you’ll bruise your wrists.”
“Quit jerking so much or you’ll…Oh, I guess it’s beyond your control now…”







No comments: