Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Flu Shot



This was our exercise for the week:

WHY YOU CAN'T GET A FLU SHOT EXCUSE

You're at the doctor's office for a regular check up when the doctor suggests you get a flu shot as well. You hate shots, so you come up with the most outlandish excuse as to why you can't get one. Start your story with "You're not going to believe this, but..." and end it with "And that's why I can't get a flu shot today." 500 words or fewer.




“You’re not going to believe this, but I have a performance tonight and when I get shots they leave this huge knot and bruise on my hip. And, you see, the outfit I’m wearing tonight leaves nothing to the imagination, if you know what I mean.”

Amy stopped long enough for the doctor to shut his mouth, which had been hanging open during her speech, but not long enough for him to do more urging of the flu shot. She hated shots, and was bound and determined not to get one. 

“Plus, the outfit is purple, and a big blue spot on my hip would make me look like a walking bruise. Not exactly the look I’m going for tonight. Gotta keep the crowd happy so the tips keep coming, if you know what I mean.”

“But…,” the doctor started to say.

“No, I’ll just have to wait,” Amy added. “There’s nothing else to be done about it. I need the money, you see, because my daughter has this recital coming up and I’m short of cash to buy her the dress of her dreams.”

“I’m sure that’s all important, but your health comes firs…,” the doctor tried again, but Amy talked over him.

“And, my mom needs new glasses. She’s already fell and broken a hip ‘cause she couldn’t see the steps and burned her hand trying to cook supper half blind, and I can’t take her to the eye doctor if I spend the extra money on this today.”

“I’m sorry to hear that,” the doctor said. “But, still…,” he tried once more to no avail.

Amy sighed and slumped in her seat as she told him, “I also need to take my son to the dentist, which means I really need to make as much as I can at the performance tonight. Then there’s the light bill, which is higher than ever this month, and my car payment is due next week, and the washer started making this gurgling noise yesterday so I’m probably going to have to get a new one. I need the money, Doc, so I have to look my best tonight, and that’s why I can’t get the flu shot today.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

very good!