Saturday, April 11, 2020

We Have Won


I haven't written anything in so long, y'all. It says my last blog post was 2015! I saw a contest on a group in Facebook and thought, why not. I'm a little rusty, but I hope y'all like the story. We had to keep it under 200 words. The photo prompt was of a little mouse in a guy's shirt pocket. This is what I came up with:




“Can I come out now, Jed?”

Jed pushed his little friend back in his pocket, firmly but gently. “No, stay in there, Mickey.”

“But I wanna see what’s going on, Jed!” Mickey squeaked.

Jed looked around the room. “There’s nothing going on, Mickey.” He hung his head and whispered, “There hasn’t been anything going on for months.”

Mickey grew quiet as he watched a tear slide down Jed’s cheek. He knew the solitude had been getting to Jed. He’d heard him cry at night and watched him pace the floor during the day. And always, he had that radio on, listening, hoping. Waiting.

That night was no different. After sharing a meal of pork and beans with Mickey, Jed turned on the radio. He was still fiddling with the buttons when a noise outside caught his attention. Jed almost stepped on Mickey in his hurry to get to the door. 

He couldn’t believe is eyes. His neighbors were laughing and hugging each other. Over the noise, after the radio static broke, Jed heard, “You stayed inside alone so that now you may come outside together. Breathe deeply, my friends. It is safe.”

“We have won.”

3 comments:

DebC55 said...

LOVE it and timely!!! Great story!

DebC55 said...

Great job instantly had my attention and I 'followed the character pacing and racing to the door!

Angel said...

Thank you so much, Deb55! I'm glad you liked the story.